11-16-19-swimming-vs-brown-caroline-buroker-2

Sophomore Catherine Buroker helped to lead the Quakers to a sweep of the 1000 free in the women's loss to Brown.

Credit: Son Nguyen

Penn swimming had a busy weekend, as the Quakers hosted Villanova and Brown at Sheerr Pool on Friday and Saturday, respectively. 

While the women were unable to manage a win at either meet, the men won each of their duals to rebound in a big way after falling at Columbia last week.

Against Villanova, although the women couldn't secure a victory and eventually fell, 157-102, the Red and Blue still took first in four events with a strong showing from the sophomore class. Sophomore Grace Giddings won the 1,000-yard free, improving upon her collegiate-best time to finish in 10:11.07 in the process. In addition to Giddings' performance, sophomores Hannah Kannan and Tara Larusso took first and second place, respectively, in the 100 back.

Also earning a first-place finish was senior Serena Xue in the 200 breast. Xue finished in 2:21.39, less than two tenths of a second ahead of Villanova's Kaitlin Gravell.

In the men's competition, Penn started hot and never looked back en route to winning, 160-96, with 11 events won on the day. The Quakers took the top spot in the 200 medley relay, which senior Matt Haigh followed with a winning performance in the 1000 free.

It was just the Red and Blue's second meet of the year, but their freshman class is already making an impact. Matt Bonnell won the 200 free in 1:42.12, and Neil Simpson and Eric Wang finished first and second in the 200 breast, respectively. Wang also took second in the 100 breast, finishing behind only senior Alec Hsing.

Credit: Son Nguyen

Not done dominating, Penn swept the podium in the 500 free, with junior Will Thomas finishing in first, freshman Vlad Elizarov in second, and sophomore Billy Fallon in third.

The men kept rolling as they defeated Brown, 157-143. The Quakers swept the podium in the 1000 freestyle, with sophomore CJ Hinckley finishing ahead of Haigh and Thomas.

Bonnell was again in winning form, as he took first in the 500 free in a time of 4:29.53, with sophomore William Kamps finishing second.

Sean Lee also put together an impressive day, as the junior finished first in the 50 free and the 100 butterfly with times of 20.46 seconds and 48.82 seconds, respectively. Fellow junior Boris Yang took first in the 100 breast, beating Brown's Vincent Huang by three-tenths of a second, and won the 200 breaststroke ahead of freshman Jason Schreiber.

Freshman Trevor Nelson was victorious in the one-meter dive, as was senior John-Michael Diveris in the three-meter competition.

The women weren't so successful, ultimately losing by a score of 171.5-128.5. That said, the Red and Blue did manage an impressive sweep in the 1000 free, as sophomores Catherine Buroker and Giddings finished ahead of senior Kaitlin Stearns.

Kannan had another big day, finishing first in the 100 and 200 back and fending off sophomore Monika Burzynska to win the 100 butterfly.

Penn will next be in action on Nov. 23 against Princeton and Cornell in Princeton, N.J.