mbb-jordan-dingle-vs-alabama

Freshman guard Jordan Dingle put up 44 points over Penn men's basketball's first two games of the season. (Photo from Hannah Saad/The Crimson White)

After a busy week for Penn Athletics, two performances by freshmen stood out among the rest.

Penn men's basketball guard Jordan Dingle and volleyball outside hitter Autumn Leak were each awarded Ivy League Rookie of the Week in their respective sports.

Men's basketball started off its season this past week with one win and one loss, which included a one-point victory against Alabama and a 19-point loss to Rice. Dingle made a major impact in both contests, scoring 24 points versus Alabama and 20 against the Owls. 

In the team's win against Alabama, Dingle contributed 17 points in the second half, including the game-winning basket with just 7.5 seconds remaining. Dingle's 24 points in his debut set the record for a Penn freshman in his first contest. Dingle finished the week shooting 54.5 percent from the field and totaled 12 rebounds, three steals, and two assists across the two games.

Credit: Christian Walton

Freshman outside hitter Autumn Leak

Leak stood out in volleyball's sweep of Harvard and Dartmouth over the weekend. She finished the two matches with 26 kills, seven blocks, and five digs. This block total was the most of her career in a weekend series. Leak also reached the 200 kill mark on the season, becoming the first freshman to achieve this since 2017, when outside hitter Parker Jones, who is also a DP staffer, accomplished the same feat.

Leak is also the first Quaker since Jones to be named Ivy League Rookie of the Week in volleyball.

Dingle and Leak will look to build off of their great weeks as their seasons continue.