heirloom-market
Credit: Sukhmani Kaur

Philadelphia’s third and largest Heirloom Market will opened on Friday, Nov. 15 in the Northern Liberties neighborhood north of Center City, the Philadelphia Business Journal reported.

The grocery store sells products from local vendors such as High Street and Claudio Specialty Foods and features a taproom. Offerings include fresh local produce, grab-and-go meals, gluten-free sections, and an extensive drinks section. Check-out systems are modern self-checkout stations, and the Giant Direct service offers online delivery options. 

The store's taproom, named “The Underground," features over forty craft beers, wines, seltzers and kombuchas on tap, available as full pours or in sample ounces, Supermarket News reported. A game area includes classic arcades and a Scrabble Wall. 

Heirloom Market branches out of the Philadelphia-based Giant supermarkets as a smaller market with an urban focus, tailoring goods and services to its nearby neighborhoods.

"We’re looking forward to getting to know our new neighbors, introducing them to all that Giant Heirloom Market has to offer and serving families in Northern Liberties,” Tommy McClain, manager of the new Heirloom Market, told Supermarket News.

Giant's first Heirloom Market opened in Jan. 2019 in the Graduate Hospital neighborhood. The University City location opened last summer at 3401 Chestnut Street near Domus, Hill College House, and Carey Law School. Other grocers, such as Trader Joe’s and Aldi’s, have also been expanding steadily across the city. 

“As we created each Giant Heirloom Market, we listened to the community and let their feedback guide our plans,” McClain told Supermarket News. “In our conversations, they told us they enjoyed having that third place away from home and work, a place to unwind, get a casual bite with friends, maybe have a drink or play a game. The Underground is our response to their wishes.”

Giant said it plans to open yet another Heirloom Market in the residential Queen Village, south of Center City. It aims to launch a two-story market in Riverwalk in Fall 2020.