23849865019_6675ee188a_b

Perry World House's 2019 Global Order Colloquium will feature distinguished speakers including former Secretary of State John Kerry. (Photo by U.S. Institute of Peace | CC BY-NC 2.0 )

Perry World House announced Wednesday that its 2019 Global Order Colloquium will feature distinguished speakers including former Secretary of State John Kerry and former Secretary of Defense Ash Carter. 

The colloquium, labeled "How Emerging Technologies are Rewiring the Global Order," will take place on Sept. 24. It will feature speeches and panel discussions with government and technology leaders including Kerry, Carter, former president of Kyrgyzstan Roza Otunbayeva, and Uber Advanced Technologies Group Chief Scientist Raquel Urtasun. 

In addition, Human Rights Watch executive director Kenneth Roth will engage in discussion with Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein, the Perry World House Professor of Practice of Law and Human Rights. 

The day's discussion will focus on the intersection of technology with the global economy, politics, and human rights. Speakers will address how technology has the potential to affect global competition and change the way societies think about privacy and surveillance. 

They will also discuss whether multinational corporations have a responsibility to protect users' data and what governments can do to combat the use of technologies for election interference and propaganda. 

The event is free and open to the public. It will take place at the Perry World House from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Sept. 24. Registration opened through the Perry World House website on Sept. 4. 

Last year's colloquium featured former Vice President Joe Biden, former National Security Advisors Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster and Susan Rice, and former U.K. Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg. Perry World House has also held events on climate change reform, the refugee crisis, and female political leadership