wsoccer-emily-sands

Senior forward Emily Sands scored three goals and added an assist in Penn women's soccer's pair of wins this weekend.

Credit: Son Nguyen

Following Penn women’s soccer’s 3-1-1 start to the 2019 season, forward Emily Sands caught fire en route to leading the Quakers to their first undefeated week of the season. The senior was the program’s leading scorer in 2018, and she has stayed right on track in the new year.

On Friday, Sands was the only player who found her way onto the scoreboard at Bucknell. She played 56 minutes against the Bison, scoring both of the Red and Blue’s goals in the shutout victory

After first finding the back of the net in the 24th minute, Sands struck again in the 51st with a 25-yard half volley that caught Bucknell freshman goalkeeper Kaylee Donnelly off of her line.

Sands was at it again two days later on Sunday afternoon when Penn returned home to take on Loyola (Md.) at Rhodes Field. She contributed another goal and an assist in the Quakers’ fifth win of the year.

Credit: Tamsyn Brann

It didn’t take long for her to make her mark on the game. In the 14th minute, Sands saw her ambitious approach pay dividends when she went for goal from more than 30 yards out. After rebounding off both the bar and Loyola goalkeeper Lily Andres, the ball found the back of the net to extend the Penn lead to 2-0. 

Less than four minutes later, Sands was again involved, assisting on a goal by senior midfielder Kelsey Andrews. Senior midfielder Breukelen Woodard added a fourth goal for Penn in the 23rd minute, and the game would remain 4-0 in the Quakers’ favor until the final whistle. Sands was able to do her damage in a mere 24 minutes of play.

The productive weekend gives Sands a total of four goals and three assists on the year — she had eight and two, respectively, in 2018 — and aside from the Red and Blue’s 5-1 season-opening loss at No. 3 Stanford, she has been featured in the box score in each contest this year.