a1fd3390-5ac9-4bed-8055-33516db1ad59-sized-1000x1000

DeMatteo previously helped Arcardia and Lafayette to great success before taking the position at Penn.

Credit: Alexa Cotler

Penn men’s soccer has a new addition to its coaching staff. 

Steve DeMatteo is stepping in as a new assistant coach for the Quakers, filling a gap left by assistant coach Peter Lowry’s departure.

"We are excited to announce that Steve DeMatteo will be joining the program at this time," head coach Brian Gill said in a Penn Athletics statement. "With Peter stepping away, it gave us an opportunity to look at the program's needs as well as what would best complement our coaching staff. Steve is someone that I have known in coaching over the years and had the chance to learn more about him recently in the times he has come to work our ID Camps. Steve has a solid understanding of the direction we are trying to move the program and I think he will be a tremendous asset to our staff, as well as our players."

Before coming to Penn, DeMatteo worked as an assistant coach at both Arcadia and Lafayette. He worked at Arcadia from 2013-2015 before moving to Lafayette for the 2016 and 2017 seasons. 

DeMatteo worked specifically with Lafayette’s defense, helping it achieve great success. In 2016, it was named the best defense in the Patriot League, allowing an average of only 1.06 goals per game, a conference low. In 2017, the defense improved to concede only 17 goals in 18 matches, an average of .94 goals per game. 

DeMatteo’s most recently served as head coach at Manhattanville College. As head coach, he lead the Valiants to a 21-14-1 record over two years, finishing 13-6 last season. DeMatteo was named the 2018 MAC Freedom Coach of the Year. 

"First, I must thank Head Coach Brian Gill for providing me the opportunity to be a part of the University of Pennsylvania men's soccer program," commented DeMatteo. "I am excited to begin working with such a fantastic and respected staff at an amazing university. I am greatly looking forward to creating and developing relationships with the student-athletes, while continuing the strong soccer tradition of the program. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank my family, mentors, and former players who have allowed me to continue to grow and develop as a coach."  

DeMatteo attended Drew University for one year before transferring to William Paterson University, which he graduated from in 2013. As a player with the Pioneers, he started in 45 of his total 46 appearances. He finished his college career having scored eight goals and made give assists. DeMatteo also played for the club NJ Blaze in the National Premier Soccer League for one season in 2010.