mlax-sam-handley

Freshman Sam Handley has notched 53 points for Penn men's lacrosse this season, which ranks tied for first on the team.

Credit: Son Nguyen

Even with postseason play yet to come, Penn lacrosse has many reasons to celebrate. Between the men's and women's teams, the Quakers received 17 awards from the Ivy League this week. 

The All-Ivy teams and postseason awards were released in advance of the men's and women's conference tournaments, both of which will take place this weekend in New York. 

Leading the way for the Red and Blue was freshman midfielder Sam Handley, who was a unanimous Ivy League Rookie of the Year selection. Handley scored 53 points and led the Quakers with 22 assists this season, while also delivering a memorable game-winning goal against Yale in a triple-overtime thriller. 

Coach Mike Murphy was unanimously named Ivy League Coach of the Year in his 10th season with Penn after leading the Red and Blue to their first Ivy League title since 1988. He's just the third coach to win the award, which was introduced in 2015.

Handley was also an unanimous first team All-Ivy selection, joined on the first team by senior midfielder Tyler Dunn, junior defenseman Mark Evanchick, and senior goalie Reed Junkin. Junior attackman Adam Goldner, senior attackman Simon Mathias, and junior faceoff specialist Kyle Gallagher were named to the second team, while junior defenseman Kyle Thornton and freshman midfielder BJ Farrare were honorable mentions.

For the women, junior Erin Barry was named Ivy League Midfielder of the Year, and she was also a unanimous first team selection for the second consecutive season. Barry was third on the team with 28 goals this year, helping the Red and Blue to a third-place conference finish. Junior attacker Gabby Rosenzweig — who had a team-high 79 points — was also a unanimous first team selection. Joining Barry and Rosenzweig on the first team were sophomore attacker Zoe Belodeau and senior defender Katy Junior.

Credit: Alexa Cotler

Sophomore midfielder Abby Bosco, junior defender Chelsea Kibler, and junior goalie Mikaila Cheeseman were named to the All-Ivy second team. Freshman midfielder Michaela McMahon was an honorable mention. 

While these individuals have accomplished impressive feats this season, their focus now shifts toward the finish line in New York this weekend.