track-coach-cross-country-dolan-steve-stephen

After winning the Ivy League Indoor Heptagonal Championships this past weekend, Penn women’s track and field is taking home even more awards.

On Tuesday, the Ivy League announced the 2019 Indoor All-Ivy track and field teams, and Penn was well-represented. Coach Steve Dolan was a unanimous selection for Women’s Coach of the Year for the second straight indoor season after leading the team to the Heps title. Additionally, 13 women’s athletes earned All-League honors for the Red and Blue. On the men’s side, Penn had three first-team and seven second-team selections.

For women’s track, the Quakers’ honorees included juniors Cecil Ene and Nia Akins, who were placed on the first-team list for the 200- and 1000-meters, respectively. Akins also won the award for Most Outstanding Track Performer of the Meet at Heps this past weekend, while Ene’s name is again featured on the second-team list for the 400.

Sophomore Melissa Tanaka was the Quakers’ final individual first-team honoree for the track. Tanaka outpaced her competition in the 800 at Heps this weekend. The Penn women’s 4x400-yard and 4x880-yard relay teams were named to the first team after each placing first in those events at Heps.

Several Quakers were also honored in field events. On the women’s side, junior Maura Kimmel was a first team selection for the shot put, while seniors Anna Peyton Malizia and Rachel Lee Wilson are on the first team for the high jump and weight throw, respectively. 

The men’s team was also represented in several events. Senior Calvary Rogers was a first-teamer in the 200, after becoming the first Ivy League athlete to win that event in three consecutive indoor seasons. Rogers was also part of the 4x440-yard relay team that was named to the second team. Fellow sprinter Marvin Morgan was featured on the first team as well. The sophomore came in first in the dash at Heps with a time of 6.78 seconds.

To round out the first team, junior Nathan Fisher was honored for his performance in the pole vault. Fisher reached a height of 5.25 meters and is the first Penn pole vaulter to win the indoor event since 1996.

Penn will have the opportunity to build on these individual achievements in less than two weeks, as the athletes who qualify will compete in the NCAA Championships on March 8 and 9.