cs25903

Junior forward AJ Brodeur.

Junior forward AJ Brodeur has been the leader of Penn men’s basketball all season, and he continued to show why this weekend.

Brodeur led the Quakers in scoring in two strong performances against Cornell and Columbia to earn him DP Sports Player of the Week.

Even though the Quakers fell to the Big Red, Brodeur was a force in the paint, using his nifty post moves to put up quick shots on the way to a 17-point night. Brodeur cleaned up on the glass as well, racking up an impressive 16 rebounds, his highest single-game total so far this season. His double-double against Cornell was sixth of the season. 

Brodeur is clearly the focal point of the offense for the Red and Blue, as he leads the team in field-goal attempts (232) and points per game (15.4). His reliable scoring down low opens up many other opportunities for the offense.

Columbia's focus on stopping the Quakers' three-point shooters resulted in plenty of space for Brodeur down low. Faced with just one defender on an island in the paint, Brodeur took advantage, scoring on 8-of-12 field goal attempts on the way to a 24-point night. 

Credit: Tamara Wurman

Not only was Brodeur able to score with ease from the post, but he also drew numerous shooting fouls which he capitalized on by shooting 8-of-10 from the free-throw line. The eight free throws are the most he has made in a single game all season.

Brodeur’s consistent offensive contributions were vital in delivering the Quakers their first Ivy League win this season against the Lions. The junior will try to continue his success next weekend on the road against Brown and Yale.