mbb-recap-woods

Despite struggling from the free-throw line once again, senior guard and captain Antonio Woods scored 11 points and dished out two assists. 

Credit: Eric Zeng

It started off as a Paradise, but then quickly turned sour.

Behind a slow start to the second half, Penn men’s basketball fell to Oregon State in the third-place game of the Paradise Jam, 74-58. The Quakers (4-2) finished the tournament with a 1-2 record.

The Quakers were unable to control junior forward Tres Tinkle, who exploded for a game-high 32 points and 12 rebounds. He was a force to be reckoned with from all over the court, and Penn had no answer for him.

Much like in the game against Kansas State, Penn jumped out to an early lead. The Quakers scored the game’s first eight points, and held the Beavers without a field goal for nearly five minutes. But Oregon State burst out of its shooting slump, going on a 14-4 run to take the lead with about 10 minutes left in the half.

The rest of the first half was a back-and-forth battle, with the Red and Blue primarily playing from behind. Back-to-back threes from senior guard Antonio Woods, followed by a corner three from junior guard Kuba Mijakowski tied the game up at 29 with just a minute left. But Tinkle was able to force a steal on the Quakers’ next possession, and finished the half with a breakaway dunk to put the Beavers up, 31-29.

The start of the second half was a completely different story. Oregon State came out firing on all cylinders, opening the half with a 14-0 run that lasted over five minutes. By the time the Quakers scored their first bucket of the final 20, they facing a double-digit deficit that proved too much to overcome.

The Red and Blue hung around and kept nibbling at the lead, but every time they came within striking distance, the Beavers, especially Tinkle, pushed right back. Junior forward AJ Brodeur got a tip-in and Woods hit a layup to shrink the lead to five with 10:43 left on the clock, but the Beavers responded with a seven-point run of their own. When senior guard Jake Silpe knocked down a three pointer to bring the lead to single digits with less than eight minutes to play, Tinkle responded with a three of his own.

Penn never threatened again, and Oregon State cruised to a third-placed finish.

Full recap with quotes to come. Last updated at 7:52 p.m.