huntsman

File Photo

Jon Huntsman Jr. disclosed that he has been diagnosed with stage I skin cancer in an interview with Deseret News published last week. 

“It’s just stage 1,” Huntsman Jr. told Deseret News in an interview. “So we’ll probably get it taken care of, and we’ll be fine.”

The current United States ambassador to Russia and a former Governor of Utah, Huntsman Jr. received his Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from Penn in 1987.

He is also the son of Jon Huntsman Sr., who died of cancer earlier this year and whose name adorns both Wharton’s Huntsman Hall and the dual-degree Huntsman Program.

Huntsman Jr. was diagnosed with melanoma by the Huntsman Cancer Institute in Utah during the summer, but only publicly revealed the diagnosis on Nov. 1. According to Deseret News, he was unsure how the information would have been used by Russian state media, due to the constant Russian propaganda that has targeted him. 

The relationship between United States and Russia has been under stress as a result of questions over Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election. 

Huntsman Jr. told Deseret he underwent surgery to remove the cancerous moles but will continue to have regular check ups for the disease.