football-halftime-soslow
Credit: Zach Sheldon

Through 30 minutes of action, the Quakers are locked in a defensive battle.

Penn football leads Columbia 6-0 entering the second half, and it’s been the defense on both sides that has kept the game close. 

In particular, the Quakers (3-1, 0-1 Ivy) have done a nice job of limiting the passing attack of Columbia (3-1, 0-1), as sophomore quarterback Josh Bean has only 68 yards on 7 of 18 passing and no touchdowns. On offense, Penn has moved the ball well, totaling 242 yards thus far, but finding the endzone has been its main issue.

Both of Penn’s field goals came after the offense had been within five yards of the endzone. Finishing drives will certainly be a point of emphasis in the Quakers’ locker room during the halftime break.

The Red and Blue offense, despite not yet scoring a touchdown, has shown a balanced attack. Six different receivers have caught passes, and sophomore quarterback Ryan Glover has completed 75 percent of his throws.

Junior running back Abe Willows has run the ball well, racking up 40 yards in the first half, which included a 24-yard rush that ultimately led to a field goal.

Late in the half, a roughing the kicker penalty by Columbia extended Penn’s drive. The Quakers moved the ball into the red zone before a costly personal foul call pushed them back to the 28-yard line. From there, senior kicker Jack Soslow missed the 45-yard attempt to end the half.

Full recap with quotes to come after the game. In the meantime, follow @dailypennsports on Twitter for updates.