11f2c446-0c82-4dde-86e7-35f701685e49.sized-1000x1000

Senior forward Sasha Stephens leads the Penn women's soccer team in goals, shots, and shots on goals through five games. 

Credit: Ananya Chandra

Sasha Stephens scoring first is a welcome sight for Penn fans. 

In this weekend's road trip for the Quakers, the senior forward scored both games' opening goals to propel Penn women's soccer to two strong wins, earning her the distinction of DP Sports Player of the Week.

As Stephens goes, Penn goes.

Credit: Gillian Diebold

In games where the senior scored this season, the Quakers have outscored their opponents by an impressive margin of 11-2. All three of her goals this season have marked the game's opening goal.

Continuing the Red and Blue's offensive explosion this season, Stephens got started Friday night with a goal against Delaware just over four minutes into the game. Taking a corner kick, the California native bent the ball directly into the net, a rare feat at any level. Strong defense all game long from the rest of the team held the Blue Hens scoreless for a 2–0 Penn victory.

Stephens followed up Friday's showing with another goal Sunday afternoon at Navy, finding the back of the net off a pass from senior midfielder Allie Trzaska in the eighth minute. Her second quick opener of the weekend was the start the Quakers needed to see the Blue and Gold off by a 4–2 scoreline.

Now with a trio of goals on the season, the California native has already topped her total of two from last year. She has been a vital part of an offense that has already produced more goals in just five games than it did all season last year. Although this is her final season with the team, Quaker fans should be eager to see what she has left to offer.