10282014_pennmedappisabella066
Penn Med Students Credit: Isabella Cuan , Isabella Cuan

Penn Medicine was named the second-best employer for women in America by Forbes.

Forbes’ first-ever list of “America’s Best Employers for Women,” which was released in late July, ranked employers based on their ability to support and grow their female workforce. Forty thousand American employees, including 25,000 women, were surveyed on working conditions and diversity at their places of employment.

Women make up 77 percent of the workforce and 55 percent of the executive positions at Penn Medicine, which comprises the University of Pennsylvania Health System and the Perelman School of Medicine, Forbes reported. Five out of seven Penn Medicine entities are headed by female CEOs.

The FOCUS on Health and Leadership for Women program at the Perelman School of Medicine was highlighted by Forbes for improving the recruitment, retention, advancement, and leadership of women faculty. The initiative also aims to promote education and research in women’s health and leadership. 

Such programs, along with a general “culture of equality,” earned Penn Medicine a score of 89.1 out of 100 in the ranking. 

Penn Medicine also earned the No. 6 spot in the 2017 Forbes “Best Employers in America” ranking.

Regina Chapman, CEO of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, emphasized the merits of Penn Medicine’s work environment in an interview with Forbes. 

“People created opportunities for me to be exposed to different parts of the organization and higher levels of leadership … I have worked at a number of hospitals — three other health care systems — and Penn Medicine has, by far, the best hospital culture.”