Credit: Sam Holland

2017 College graduate Madison Pedrotty died in a fatal crash on May 31 in Tennessee. According to local Channel 11 News, Pedrotty was a passenger in a car that hydroplaned, hitting a tractor-trailer head on.

At Penn, Pedrotty majored in Biology with a minor in Anthropology, before becoming a PhD student studying molecular cancer biology at Duke University. She was from Cockeysville, Maryland and lived in Riepe and Harnwell College Houses. 

"Madison was the kindest and most thoughtful person that I know," said 2017 College graduate Elena Crouch, who was one of Madison's roommates. "We met in a freshman seminar and everyone thought we were sisters because we looked similar."

Crouch added that Pedrotty volunteered every week to speak "to the homeless people in Philly to make them feel better." 

Pedrotty was also involved with the Penn Newman Catholic Community and authored posts on their student blog. 

"Our community lost a very dear friend, an honest and brave witness, a young Quaker alumn, and a beautiful soul this week," Penn Newman Catholic Community said in a Facebook post. "We pray that Madison Pedrotty (C'17) rest in peace, and we offer our deepest condolences to the Pedrotty family during this difficult and tragic time."

According to the post, the Penn Newman Catholic Community will be honoring Pedrotty at their Mass this Wednesday June 6 in St. Agatha St. James Church, followed by silent adoration.

"She never had a mean word to say about anyone," Crouch said. "There are too many things that I could say about Madison, and I am truly devastated that she is gone."

Pedrotty was 23 at the time of the crash.

CAMPUS RESOURCES

The HELP Line: 215-898-HELP

Counseling and Psychological Services: 215-898-7021 (active 24/7)

Student Health Service: 215-746-3535

Wellness Resources

• Be Well Initiative
  • Penn Reflects
  • Be Here Yoga
  • Free Yoga through Penn Recreation

Office of the Vice Provost for University Life: 215-898-6081

University Chaplain’s Office: 215-898-8456