Michael and Jordan
Photo from Jordan Andrews and Michael Krone

College junior Michael Krone and College sophomore Jordan Andrews will serve as the new president and vice president of the Undergraduate Assembly, respectively, the Nominations and Elections Committee announced Thursday evening.

Krone ran against College junior Samara Wyant, former Daily Pennsylvanian staffer, and College junior Robert J. Klopf III.

“I was really thankful to be running against two really, really great candidates who forced me to really have a well-rounded and well-positioned viewpoint on everything that needed to happen, needed to be done, who challenged me in debates, met me eye-for-eye when campaigning, so I thank them for that,” Krone said. 

"I feel really elated, also really, really honored. I know that we knocked on a lot of doors, but this definitely wouldn’t have been possible without great people behind us, working with us, endorsing us, believing in us,” Andrews said. 

Krone received 2,906 points — a 447-point margin of victory over runner-up Wyant’s 2,459 points. Klopf III came in with 1,112 points. Andrews received 1,240 points, a 343-point margin of victory over runner-up Wharton sophomore Max Grove.

Krone and Andrews ran on the platform of improving mental wellness, transparency, inclusivity, accessibility, and community engagement. 

In a guest column in The Daily Pennsylvanian, Krone and Andrews wrote, "We want to increase transparency between the Penn administration, student body, and Undergraduate Assembly; improve the accessibility of Penn’s resources and student life; fight for inclusivity and equal opportunity for success; promote mental wellness initiatives and culture change; and lobby for community engagement in West Philadelphia."

Krone has been a part of the UA since his freshman year, when he operated as an associate member to the UA after losing in the race for new student representative. This year, Krone served as the speaker of the UA Executive Board, while in past years he has been the communications director and College representative on the Student Life Committee. 

“I think it’s really cool because I ran in my freshman fall and lost, so it’s just really surreal to be here and to have pulled this off," Krone said. 

Andrews has also served on the UA for two consecutive years, as the new student representative during her freshman year and the communications director this past year. 

The results of the rest of the UA and Class Board elections also came out on Thursday night. 

The senior Class Board will be led by Engineering junior Aren Raisinghani as president. 

Wharton sophomore Karim El Sewedy was reelected as the junior Class Board president, and College freshman Lizzie Youshaei will be president of the Class of 2021, beating out the current 2021 Class Board President, Wharton freshman Moksh Jawa. 

The UA serves as the elected representative branch of student government at Penn responsible for improving life for all students via funding, services, and advocacy, whereas the Class Board is intended to provide social programming that instills a sense of class and school spirit for each undergraduate class.  

Voting for all the candidates took place from Tuesday, April 3 at 12 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Thursday, April 5. Candidates campaigned in college houses, on Locust Walk, Facebook, and other forms of social media throughout the voting period. 

The current UA Executive Board members will remain in their respective positions until the assembly's internal transition meeting on April 15, when they will elect the next speaker, treasurer, and secretary.