Credit: Rebecca Tan

After surviving a second round of midterms, I was burnt out and I needed a quick “pick-me-up.” For some, this might entail going to a party. For others, it might be resting up and binge-watching Netflix. After being placed in the mental pressure cooker of my exam, I wanted a fun Friday night. So, my friend and I decided to attend the Penn Queer Student Alliance’s annual drag show.

The whole hour was an experience. From the opening act, the whole room was hyped up, creating a space that was free and welcoming. Musical numbers, ranging from renditions of Madonna's “Like a Prayer,” with one performer blessing the audience with “fake holy water” from a ladle in a pot, to the funky groove of Bruno Mars’ “24k Magic,” scored well with the audience.

The outfits, makeup, and props of every performer contributed to an elevated showmanship. In addition, the countless kicks, splits, and tricks from every performer left the audience speechless. I was even taken aback for a second to process the intricate choreography that occurred, despite the joke announcement that none of the acts were really prepared. 

Credit: Carlos Arias Vivas

Growing up with a gay brother, I have been exposed to the LGBTQ+ community and culture from a young age. This has had a big impact on me as an ally also and helped me expand my perspectives as I grew up when I met people from all different backgrounds. But, this was my first time attending a drag show in person. The night at the drag show showed me a new level of confidence I know I can adapt in my daily life.

Drag is something everyone can participate in; it doesn’t have to follow strict gender norms. Performances showcased different types of drag: both drag queens and drag kings. Diverse events like these on campus foster inclusivity and welcoming environments to people from any background to come and have a good time.

Every act was so different and unique in its own way that we were all able to leave with unforgettable memories from that night. Personally, I think that the essence of drag is showing a more extravagant version of yourself without any limitations. It is meant to accentuate all of your current features, or maybe new ones that are created. Honestly, at the end of the day, it is a fun way to express yourself. 

I spoke with College sophomore Amber Auslander, the chair of the Queer Student Alliance, to learn more about the behind-the-scenes planning.

Auslander said that the drag show is an important event because it allows performers to explore “an aspect of gender presentation/gender identity that they usually aren’t able to” or “haven’t thought about exploring before.” 

“The night at the drag show showed me a new level confidence I know I can adapt in my daily life.”

Auslander added that the QSA is considering donating a portion of the proceeds of the show to the Attic Youth Center in Philadelphia, the city’s only independent LGBTQ+ youth center.

The LGBTQ+ community and drag culture have influenced young people’s vernacular. When people refer to “throwing shade,” “slay,” and exclaim “YAAAAS,” not a lot of people realize that these phrases were popularized by drag culture.

“RuPaul’s Drag Race,” a reality TV show competition where 14 drag queens compete to become the “America's Next Drag Superstar,” has become appointment TV, increasing awareness of drag in the process. RuPaul Charles, the show’s host and one of the world’s most famous drag queens, has won two Emmys for his work on the show. 

Recently, RuPaul has come under fire for comments regarded as a transphobic during an interview with The Guardian, saying, “Drag loses its sense of danger and its sense of irony once it’s not men doing it.” Season 9 runner-up and openly female transgender contestant Peppermint disagreed in a video interview with Mic, where she expresses that drag is something any man, woman, and person who might not identify with any gender can take part in.

When it boils down to it, drag is a performance art. It breaks away from any restrictions implicated by associating an act with any particular gender. Drag and drag shows are meant to captivate audiences and rejoice in the fierceness of every performer who has the charisma, uniqueness, nerve, and talent to stand onstage and entertain. Audience members feel an immediate connection when a drag performer steps on the stage and gets ready to slay.