6538960047_f7312f0753_o
CC BY-ND 2.0 // Kimco Realty

The city of Philadelphia is making big advances in its goal to promote the use of clean energy. 

More than 180 residents have signed a contract with Solarize Philly to install solar panels on their houses, CBS Philly reported.

The Philadelphia Energy Authority announced the program in April to make solar energy more available and affordable for Philadelphians. PEA Executive Director Emily Schapira promised the installation of 500 solar roofs by the end of 2018. 

Applications for the first round of installations were open from July 1 to Oct. 31. According to Solarize Philly's website, more than 2,200 households signed up for the program by the deadline. 

According to StateImpact, the average cost of a solar panel installation in Philadelphia ranges from $10,000 to $30,000. However, the Solarize Philly program offers lower prices for all participants and will provide "subsidized funding" for at least 45 houses for solar energy. 

The use of solar energy could save an average of $45,611 for Philadelphia households over the course of 20 years, according to EnergySage

The program is a component of the Philadelphia Energy Campaign, a $1 billion project launched by the PEA under the guidance of City Council President Darrell Clarke, which aims to promote clean and efficient energy and create 10,000 jobs in the city within 10 years.  

Solarize Philly is just one of the many green initiatives launched by the city. 

Earlier this year, Mayor Jim Kenney announced that the city would commit to producing zero waste and implementing entirely clean energy by 2035.