c54fb2cb-66ae-42d3-9231-1fb7814d876c.sized-1000x1000
Source: George Hodan / Public Domain

Coffee and retail shop United by Blue is looking to upsize its brand in University City by this winter, Facilities and Real Estate Services announced in a recent statement. 

The shop's newly-expanded location at 3421 Walnut Street will add around 1,655 square feet, almost three times the original area. 

According to the the statement, the new location will have a “full selection of the brand’s outdoor merchandise, along with improved traffic flow and new seating areas to allow for a busy café business.”

“United By Blue has been very popular with our customer base, and their business philosophy aligns with our sustainability goals within Penn’s retail portfolio," Executive Director of Real Estate Ed Datz said. 

United by Blue, an artisan coffeeshop that was established in Philadelphia in 2010, is known for their commitment to saving oceans and waterways from pollution. For every sustainable clothing product sold “through company-organized cleanups,” a pound of trash will be removed from oceans. 

United by Blue expanded their reach to University City in 2014, replacing Artisserie Chocolate Cafe on 3421 Walnut Street. 

The coffee and retail brand will also move into a new flagship location in Old City at 205 Race Street, just a walk down the block from the original site, according to Philadelphia Business Journal. 

United by Blue's expansion marks the latest in a string of changes to the dining scene around Penn. Saladworks, Harvest Seasonal Grill and Wine Bar, Doc Magrogan's Oyster House, Bridge Cafe and the food court at 3401 Walnut Street all closed in recent months. 

The Fresh Grocer, despite Penn's best efforts to oust the grocery store, has remained open during the store's ongoing legal battle with the University.