footballprotest3

At Friday's football game against Harvard, students protested the sending of racist messages that targeted Penn students of color. 

Credit: Sam Holland , Sam Holland

No Penn students were involved in sending racist GroupMe messages to freshman students of color last Friday, according to a University notification sent on Sunday afternoon.

According to the email, the three students linked to the GroupMe live in Oklahoma. One of the students, who attends the University of Oklahoma, has been temporarily suspended. 

The update, which was sent by Penn President Amy Gutmann, Provost Vincent Price and Executive Vice President Craig Carnaroli, added that Penn was working to provide support to students who had been affected by the racist GroupMe messages. The messages, which included racial slurs and images of lynchings, sent Penn's campus into panic on Friday and earned fierce condemnation from civil rights activists, including Shaun King and Deray McKesson.

"We call on everyone to recognize that the events of the past few days are a tragic reminder of the overt and reprehensible racism that continues to exist within some segments of our society, and that we all need to unite together as a community and a society to oppose," the email said. "We are deeply saddened that Penn students were the victims of this hate, to which absolutely nobody should be subjected."

Penn Police will continue working with the FBI and police in Oklahoma until the full investigation has been concluded, the email stated.