ua_people

The Undergraduate Assembly meets in Houston Hall's Bodek Lounge every Sunday. | DP File Photo

On Friday night, 76 eager students finally learned the results of the Class Board and Undergraduate Assembly elections.

The Nominations and Elections Committee announced Wharton freshman Toto Nguyen and College freshman Montell Brown as the new president and executive vice president of the Class Board of 2019, respectively.

There was a 73.6 percent voter turnout, with 1780 out of 2417 students voting in the elections. Wharton senior and NEC vice chair of elections Matthew Herling reported that there had been no Fair Practices Code violations this year. 

Nguyen won the Class Board presidency with 232 votes, with College freshman Dayz Terry in a close second with 187 votes. Brown won the vice presidential election with 310 out of 1094 votes.

Both Nguyen and Brown are excited to be representing the class of 2019.

“I’m still in awe right now. I still can’t believe I won yet because there was a lot of tough competition,” Nguyen said.

He hopes to plan more gala nights to bring unity and increase class spirit for the freshman class. Nguyen added that it is a great way to meet new people and an excuse to dress up.

Brown shares Nguyen’s enthusiasm for the elections and the upcoming year.

“When I found out I won, I was actually quite shocked, but I was actually very satisfied as well. I can’t wait to make a difference for the class of 2019,” he said.

Brown places a similar importance on class unity. He said that food brings the class together, and he hopes to plan events with free restaurant food that will get freshman to bond with each other.

The results of the UA SEAS special elections and new student representatives were also announced.  Engineering sophomore Kyle O’Neil won the special election with 42 votes, and freshmen Femi Palmer, Tonna Obaze, Aren Raisinghani, Hannah Sweeney, Taylor Becker, Ruhy Patel, Jay Shah, and Nile Nwogu won spots as new student representatives.