03132013_foodtruckonlocust1281
Food truck on Locust Credit: Amanda Suarez , Amanda Suarez

University City residents are passionate about their food trucks. Since the proposal of a bill to limit the number of food trucks on Drexel's campus, the district's councilwoman has received regular complaints. 

Drexel University recently submitted the request to the Philadelphia City Council to limit the number of food trucks allowed in University City in order to promote on-campus dining options. 

Bill No. 150600 was introduced to City Council on June 18, and it restricts the number of food trucks allowed in the Drexel University District to 25. The bill also says that only 10 trucks will be allowed on 32nd Street between Chestnut and Market Streets. Drexel submitted the bill in order to promote their current on-campus dining options as they plan to extend their facilities, Councilwoman Jannie Blackwell, who sponsored the bill, said.

The public has reacted negatively since the bill's introduction. A Change.org petition entitled "Save the Drexel Food Trucks!" has received over 2,850 signatures to date. 

Due to the high number of complaints Councilwoman Blackwell has received, City Council is "not moving forward with anything until [they] can make sure the community and vendors are in agreement," Blackwell said. 

If the bill were to move forward, the next step would be to hold a public hearing, but Council will not be held until the Sept. 10, Blackwell said.

Regardless of whether or not the bill moves forward, it will not change food truck activity on Penn's campus in its current form.