johnlegend

John Legend spoke at Penn's Class of 2014 Commencement.

This spring, John Legend will be giving his all to us when he introduces Commencement Speaker Samantha Power over Skype.

Legend will introduce Commencement speaker Samantha Power, U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations and Pulitzer Prize-Winning author, with a new, original song that he plans to debut during the Commencement ceremony. 

When asked about the song, Legend remained tight lipped, saying only that, “It’s not finished yet, but it’s great. It’s got a lot of meaning in it, and I know it’s going to be a big hit.”

When asked about how he felt to be introducing the Commencement Speaker, Legend smiled and said he was “very excited” and that he had an incredible performance to show us — through the Skype window, that is.

Legend will be in Brazil with his wife, Chrissy Teigen, who will be modeling in a Sports Illustrated photoshoot. While the singer says he regrets his inability to be physically present at Commencement, he said that the Skype performance would “in no way hamper his ability to sing,” and that we were "in for an awesome show — I mean opening.”

Legend is a 1999 Penn alumnus with a degree in English, and his connection to Penn is partially responsible for bringing him back. “When Penn contacted me, of course I said yes. I mean, I spent four years here, and I’m happy to come support the school and the new graduates.”

“It’s a fairly unorthodox arrangement, but we think that it’s going to be a great addition to Commencement,” Commencement Director Rose Lalonde said. Legend was first suggested as an opening act for the speaker earlier this year, and while it was originally an idle thought, “when we contacted him, he was surprisingly enthusiastic.”

Concerns were raised about the internet connection, and what would happen if Skype crashes.

“We think the benefits of having John Legend introducing the Commencement Speaker outweigh the risks,” Lalonde said. “Once we knew we could get him for Commencement, there really were no questions about it.” Tech staff will be on hand to restore the window if AirPennNet goes down. “We don’t anticipate any problems,” said tech staff member John Egbert, “but we like to be prepared.”

But there are still those who have their doubts, even with the added assurance from administration.

“I’m kind of nervous about the whole Skype thing,” Jade Harley, Wharton Senior, said. “I know my Skype connection goes down every once in a while here, and theres no reason that John Legend’s won’t.”

But the general mood among the student body is positive.

“It’s unexpected, that’s for sure,” College senior Dave Strider said. “But everyone I know is really looking forward to seeing him. I mean, it’s John Legend.”