14146388982_887f0a3710_o
Credit: Chris Hunkeler 510-621-3391 , Courtesy of Chris Hunkeler/Creative Commons

It's official: The 2016 Democratic National Convention is coming to the city of Brotherly Love.

READ THE FULL STORY HERE: DNC 2016 to be held in Philly

The DNC signed a contract with Philadelphia to host the convention during the week of July 25, 2016, choosing Phila. over New York City and Columbus, Ohio. The convention will take place in the Wells Fargo Center and the Philadelphia Convention Center. 

Mayor Michael Nutter released a statement about the decision on Thursday morning. 

"The City of Philadelphia is excited and honored to be selected as the host city for the 2016 Democratic National Convention," he said. "We believe that it was our proven track record of hosting big events safely and efficiently with a dynamic team of top-tier professionals to organize and manage a conference of this magnitude, paired with our City's tremendous amenities, its accessible location and historical significance, which made Philadelphia the ideal choice for the 2016 DNC."

Philadelphia last hosted the DNC in 1948 while the city hosted the 2000 Republican National Convention, where George W. Bush was nominated to vie for the Presidency.

The DNC will take place a week after the 2016 RNC, which will be held from July 18-21 in Cleveland, Ohio.

Read more at ABC 6 Philadelphia or from Philly.com.