breakingweb
Credit: Analyn Delos Santos

College student Amanda Hu died in her home on the 4000 block of Sansom Street late Sunday night in an apparent suicide, according to a police report. She was 20 years old.

Police found Hu unresponsive in her second-floor bedroom at approximately 11:29 PM, according to the report. She had left what appeared to be two suicide notes: one addressed to her family and one to her “mental health doctor at Penn.” The exact cause of death has yet to be confirmed by the Medical Examiner’s office as of Monday morning.

Hu, who was from a suburb of Charlotte, N.C., was on a voluntary leave of absence and working in a biochemistry lab. She had been involved in Penn Model Congress, Penn for Youth Debate and Penn Science Across Ages.

A community gathering for Hu will be held at 5 p.m. on Monday in the Benjamin Franklin Room in Houston Hall.

Penn spokesman Steve MacCarthy released a statement Monday morning and promised more information in the afternoon.

"The Division of Public Safety, the office of the Vice Provost for University Life and the Chaplain’s Office are assisting members of the Penn community who may be affected by this loss," read the statement.

Last updated at 1:15 p.m. on Monday. Check back for updates.

Anyone wishing to contribute comments should email reporters Sarah Smith at smith@theDP.com and Jill Castellano at castellano@theDP.com.