03122013_mbballvsprincetoncarolynlim2965
Mens bball vs. princeton Credit: Carolyn Lim , Carolyn Lim

The Class of 2018 keeps getting larger for Penn basketball.

Fenwick High School (Ill.) senior power forward Dan Dwyer committed to join the Red and Blue next season, becoming the fifth member of Penn’s next recruiting class.

The 6-foot-8 Dwyer is the tallest player and third forward in Penn’s Class of 2018, joining 6-foot-7 Mike Auger and 6-foot-6 Sam Jones. Antonio Woods and Darnell Foreman — who committed to Penn last week — make up the two guards in the group.

Dwyer received an offer from the Quakers in late March. He has been described as a solid pick-and-pop forward, with a strong mid-range jumper. The high school senior received interest from other Ivy League schools as well as some Patriot League programs, but ultimately chose Penn.

Dwyer and Fenwick found success in 2013-14 under new coach Rick Malnati, with Dwyer progressing as a forward in the post.

There is already a Fenwick connection for Penn basketball, as junior Kathleen Roche, a starting guard for Penn women’s basketball, is an alumna of Dwyer’s high school.

Dwyer’s commitment brings Penn’s roster next year to 15 athletes, including freshman forward Dave Winfield Jr., who did not play last season. The Quakers went into last year with 20 players on their roster before players left the program for assorted reasons.

After keeping every player from the 2012-13 season on the roster for 2013-14, the Quakers lost eight players from this year’s roster, five due to graduation, while three players received their release from the program after Penn’s 8-20 campaign.