College freshman Anthony Bagtas, facing charges for allegedly burglarizing the Quad on March 22, has been charged with another seven burglaries that same day and two burglaries earlier this school year — one in September and one in January. Bagtas was a member of the men’s basketball team, but was released before his March 24 arrest, according to the Athletics Department.
In all of the alleged incidents, Bagtas — who goes by Tony — was charged with burglary of an overnight accommodation with a person present, trespassing, theft and receiving stolen property, according to court documents. He was initially charged with one of the eight burglaries that took place in Quad rooms on March 22. After being released, he was re-arrested on April 10 for the additional crimes and charged the next day.
The Division of Public Safety could not be reached for comment via email Sunday night.
Athletic Communications Director Mike Mahoney had no comment as to when the Athletics Department was first informed about Bagtas’ alleged criminal activity. He would not give a specific reason for Bagtas’ release from the team, citing confidentiality.
Bagtas — who lived in Riepe College House but was removed from the Quad after his initial arrest — did not respond to a request for comment.
Bagtas verbally committed to Penn basketball in October 2012. In an interview with The Daily Pennsylvanian in March 2013, the then-high school senior said that Penn’s coaches told him that he would “run the team next year.”
He played in 20 games for the Quakers in the 2013-14 season, starting six games. His best performances came during his first two starts, notching nine assists against Villanova and eight versus Wagner. However, Bagtas played in just two of the team’s last seven games.
Bagtas’ next court appearance, a status hearing for the newest charges, is set for May 12. His preliminary hearing for the initial charges was rescheduled from last week to May 29.
Please note All comments are eligible for publication in The Daily Pennsylvanian.