Sure, you’ve done your Penn research. You’ve asked around: "What’s the best place to live my freshman year?" You’re pretty intent on living in the Quad, but you still have some questions. I'm here to provide a firsthand take on what it's like to live in Ware, one of the Quad's three College Houses.

If you’re into eating and children, then Ware is the place for you. 

We’re the closest to McClelland Cafe, meaning a shorter walk to the only dining hall in the Quad. (This can be crucial. The kids that live in Fisher have to descend a massive plight of stairs, and the Riepe guys have to brave through at least twenty seconds of more walking to get to food. Talk about misfortune.)

On warmer days, there are sightings of House Dean Utsav Schurmans’s adorable children running around in the Green. Children and babies just make Ware happier — a necessity before winter hits Philadelphia. 

Ware is conveniently located in the middle of the Quadrangle, with a spectacular view of the Lower Quad Green. Both the lower and upper gates provide easy access. 

Ware also provides a wide array of opportunities to explore the Philadelphia arts and culture scene. There are constant offers for trips to galleries, museums, free tickets to see plays and musicals at the Arden Theatre, cheap rates to see the Philly 76ers and more city trips with the Literature and Culture program led by the Professor Kevin Platt.

We also have a really great house staff and resources. Faculty Master Mark Liberman hosts weekly study breaks that are always generously equipped with an abundant supply of cakes, cookies, cheese and chips. Bike rentals are free for Ware students. Mondays with the Paper Doctor — one-on-one’s with professors that offer you help with your writing — are actually fun. Professors live only a few doors down from you.

And all Ware students are united by the conversation they inevitably all have their first semester:

“Where do you live?”

“Ware.”

“Yeah, where?”

“No, I live in Ware.”

“WHERE?”

“WARE!”

“Oh! Ware! Like, the College House.”

“...”

“...”