01182014_mensbasketballvst_copy
01182014_MensBasketballvStJoe Credit: Yuzhong Qian , Yuzhong Qian

Penn senior guard Dau Jok is already well-known in the Penn community for his compassion and good works off the court.

Now, he’s receiving national recognition for it.

Tuesday, the captain was announced as having won a spot on the 2014 Allstate National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) Good Works team, one of the highest honors for community service in the world of college basketball.

Jok joins fellow seniors Aaron Craft of Ohio State, Joe Harris of Virginia, Danny Berger of Utah State and graduate student Jordan Morgan of Michigan.

Though filled with energy on the court — as well as a hot shooting hand —, Jok has made his biggest impact at Penn through his creation of the Dut Jok Youth Foundation.

Named in memory of his late father, who was killed by fighting in his native Sudan, the foundation aims to lift up the post-conflict nation through increased access to sports and academic opportunities.

According to a statement released by Penn Director of Athletic Communications Mike Mahoney, the foundation has raised $14,000 dollars and delivered sports equipment and school supplies to over 200 South Sudanese youth since its 2011 founding.

Thanks to his inclusion on the 2014 Allstate NABC Good Works Team, Jok will be invited along with the rest of his teammates to attend the 2014 Final Four, where the team will participate in a community service project.

Jok and his teammates were selected out of a pool of 117 nominees.

Thanks to his selection, he’ll have a chance to show the basketball world what he can do.