coach2
ran 2/9/2004 Yale Columbia mhoops James Jones (yale) Joseph Jones (columbia) Credit: Julia Zhou , Julia Zhou, Rebecca Sherman, Rebecca Sherman

Are the Bulldogs the new bullies on the Ivy League block?

Yale (5-1) is now tied atop the Ivy standings after completing its second Ivy weekend sweep in a row, besting Dartmouth (2-4) and Harvard (5-1) on the road.

With Yale’s 67-54 win over the Big Green on Friday, Bulldogs coach James Jonesok became just the second coach in program history to reach 200 wins.

Brandon Sherrod led Yale with 15 points in a contest where the Bulldogs held Dartmouth to just 29.8 percentwrote out percent shooting from the field.

Yale stormed into Boston the following night and picked up its most significant win of the season against Harvard, 74-67.

The triumph gave the Bulldogs a season-best four game winning streak, and brought the Crimson’s 20-game home winning streak to a halt.

After a late first half surge, Yale held off a series of Harvard charges in a game the Elis dominated on the boards.

Forward Justin Sears (21 pts, 10 reb) and guard Armani Cotton (13 pts, 10 reb) both posted double-doubles to pace the Bulldogs.

Harvard, which shot 39.0 percentwrote out percent from the field against Yale Saturday, bested Brown (4-2) on just 32.1 percentwrote out percent shooting in a defensive battle the previous evening.

Harvard forward Zena Edosomwanok led all scorers with 12 in a contest that featured eight lead changes.

Brown scoring machine Sean McGonagillok, who was held to just eight points on 2-11 shooting from the field against the Crimson added spaceon Friday, bounced back with a 20 point effort to lead the Bears past Dartmouth on Saturday.

Freshman forward Steven Spiethchanged name to Spieth based on Brown website also poured in 20, and senior forward Rafael Maiaok posted a double-double for Brown.

Dartmouth took a few steps back over the weekend, getting swept at home after sweeping the prior weekend’s slate.

The Big Green, now in sixth place in the Ivy League standings, struggled beyond the arc, failing to crack 30 percentwrote out percent from deep against both Yale and Brown.

A notch ahead of Dartmouth in the standings is Columbia (3-3), a team that split its pair of Ancient Eight contests over the weekend.

While the Lions failed to make a comeback versus changed to "make a comeback versus" instead of "come back on"Penn Saturday night – losing, 68-60 – the squad from the Big Apple added to Princeton’s (1-4) Ivy woes the night before.

The Lions bested Princeton in stunning fashion on Friday, earning their first road win against the Tigers since 1993.

With 28 seconds left in the game and Columbia trailing 52-50, junior guard Meiko Lylesok nailed a trey to lift the Lions to a 53-52 victory. Columbia’s leading scorer Alex Rosenbergok posted a team-high 17 points.

Princeton’s loss Friday was its fourth straight to start Ivy play. After leading by eight at the half, the Tigers shot just 33.3 percentwrote out percent in the second half, allowing the Lions to steal a road win.

The going was much easier for the Tigers on Saturday, as they coasted past winless-in-Division-1 Cornell (0-6), 69-48. Princeton drained 11 triples on the night, threespelled out three of which came from forward Spencer Weiszok, who scored a game high 18 points.

Although the Big Redchanged per Stephen lost 90-83 against Penn the previous night, their performance at the Palestra did feature some positives.

The Big Red’s 83 points marked the squad’s highest regulation total of the season. Cornell also got hefty contributions from its youth against the Quakers: sophomore Nolan Cressler remained aggressive and posted 22 points, and freshmen David Onuorah and Darryl Smith scored 11 and 15, respectively – both career highs.