amaker

Harvard coach Tommy Amaker will be without center Kenyatta Smith for the rest of the season after the junior re-injured his right foot, breaking a bone

The Ivy League favorites will be short one weapon.

Harvard junior center Kenyatta Smith played his first game of the year last Sunday, posting two minutes vs. Dartmouth after recovering from a right foot injury.

But Smith re-injured his foot on Monday, breaking a bone and putting him out for the season, as reported by the Harvard Crimson.

Smith’s injury takes away a depth piece from the Crimson, but the squad has carried on well in his absence so far this year, going 14-3 while winning their first two Ivy games.

But Ivy play is where Smith made his biggest impact last season. Starting with a 20 point, 10 block and nine rebound effort against Penn on Feb. 15, Smith took off, leading to him scoring in double figures in both of Harvard’s NCAA Tournament games.

He averaged 5.8 points, 4.3 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per contest in 2012-13, but this season will go down as a lost year for the 6-foot-8 junior.

The Crimson play Penn at Harvard on Saturday following a matchup with Princeton. Without Smith, Harvard will continue to rely on forwards Steve Moundou-Missi and Kyle Casey in its frontcourt game.