dau_jok_2

Senior captain Dau Jok will square off with his brother Peter when the Quakers and Hawkeyes collide in Iowa City Friday.

Credit: Laura Francis

Three Up-

Both teams will be trying the same thing
Friday’s tilt will be a test of endurance as both teams will utilize an up-tempo offensive approach in the game. Whichever team can execute this approach more efficiently will certainly have the upper hand. Both teams force an average of 16 turnovers per game, and with both squads running the court, there will be plenty of chances for turnovers.

Injuries have depleted Iowa of consistent three-point shooting
After losing junior Josh Oglesby to a foot injury for six weeks, the Hawkeyes are lacking a three point shooting presence off the bench. The loss has opened a hole for Iowa native Peter Jok, brother of senior Dau Jok, to fill the void on the depth chart. With their premier shooter from downtown sidelined, the Quakers will be able to focus more on preventing interior scoring from the Hawkeyes’ forwards.

Second-half adjustments will be key
Penn has struggled out of the gate frequently thus far, falling behind by double-digits at the half. The second half has been a completely different story for the Quakers, who have outscored opponents by 11 in the final 20 minutes of games this season. Iowa has dominated opponents in almost all facets this season, but the second half has been the one part of the game where the Hawkeyes haven’t completely shut down their opponents.

Three Down-

Another strong guard in Roy Marble
After being dominated by Penn State’s Tim Frazier, the Quakers will come face-to-face with Roy Devyn Marble, another guard with a penchant for scoring. Averaging 15 points per game this season, Marble must be the focus of Penn’s defense if they want to avoid another blowout. The son of former Iowa standout and NBA player Roy Marble, Roy Jr. has capitalized on his skills inside the arc to put up dazzling offensive numbers.

Iowa wins by an AVERAGE of 39.5 points
If Penn wants to avoid a blowout in Iowa City, it will have to find a way to counteract the Hawkeye’s 17th-ranked offense. Coming off two straight blowouts over Abilene Christian and Maryland Eastern Shore, Iowa has improved its average margin of victory to 39.5 points. Iowa has capitalized on their fast starts to build an early lead en route to their largest victories of the season. Iowa’s 94.3 points per game average blows away Penn’s 74.3, but Penn’s defense, only allowing 78.0 points per game, will be key in stopping the Hawkeyes’ potent offensive attack. The Red and Blue will also have to light up the scoreboard against a defense that only allows 54.5 points per game.

Iowa’s size makes them another great rebounding team
On a team that ranks ninth in rebounds per game, Penn will have its hands full jockeying for boards down low on Friday. The Red and Blue have struggled early in the season to get rebounds, and it won’t get any easier when they face an Iowa team that averages close to 50 rebounds per game. Darien Nelson-Henry and Fran Dougherty will have their hands full trying to keep up with Gabriel Olaseni and Aaron White in the paint.