img_5557

The bicycle of an unaffiliated female hit by a car at 39th and Spruce streets lies in the middle of the road. She is being treated at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania for her injuries.

Credit: Luke Chen , Luke Chen

A crash between a car and a bicyclist Thursday night at 39th and Spruce streets left an unaffiliated female being treated for what an officer at the scene called “serious injuries.”

The automobile left the scene and traveled westbound. The Philadelphia Accident Investigative Unit is looking into the accident, according to the Division of Public Safety.

Spruce Street was blocked off by yellow caution tape between 38th and 39th streets, with the female’s bike still lying in the middle of Spruce Street. DPS added that the bicyclist, who is being treated at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, was not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.

The 38th and Spruce intersection has been a problematic one. In the spring semester, five accidents sent six people to the hospital, and a three-car crash in late September left at least one injured. The Philadelphia Streets Department has said it will install “bumpouts” — or measures to push curb and sidewalk further into the street — to improve pedestrian safety.

Staff writer Jill Castellano contributed reporting.

A previous headline said the accident occurred at 39th and Spruce streets. The accident happened on the 3800 block of Spruce Street.