alex_moll

A memorial for the late College sophomore Alex Moll will be held on Sunday, Sept. 29, on College Green from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. The event, publicized on Facebook, is open to the public.

Moll, 19, died of bone cancer Aug. 13 in a Charlotte, N.C., hospital. The Greenville, N.C., native had battled the disease since the sixth grade.

The student organizers put out a call for those who were close with Moll to speak about him or perform songs or poems as tribute. They are currently looking for more students to participate in the ceremony.

“It’s a celebration of his life through performance,” Moll’s close friend and College sophomore Josef Hoenzsch said in a Facebook message. Hoenzsch and Moll, who met during the PennArts pre-orientation program last summer, often played music together and performed at campus open mic nights. Moll played the cello.

Hoenzsch, who is organizing the event with two of Moll’s other friends, added that while he is not sure that Moll’s family will be able to attend the ceremony, they are doing their best to make it.

In the event of bad weather, the memorial will take place in the Hall of Flags in Houston Hall. Guests are invited to come and go as they please.

Anyone who wishes to participate in the memorial or has additional questions about the event should contact Hoenzsch at josefh@sas.upenn.edu.

Staff writer Will Marble contributed reporting.