miles
Penn IUR Book Talk with Manny Diaz Credit: Amanda Suarez , Connie Kang

In a tale of two halves Saturday night in Hanover, N.H., Penn men’s basketball finally finished better than it started.

Penn trailed by 12 at the half but came back to seal a 67-57 victory over Dartmouth, just its second road win of the season. The Quakers played 20 minutes of their best basketball in the second half, shooting 16-for-21 (76.2 percent) from the field.

But Penn (6-18, 3-4 Ivy) had a lot of trouble in the early going, enduring a 17-6 Dartmouth (6-16, 2-6) run to start the game and trailing the Big Green 24-10 at the 6:07 mark of the first stanza.

Then the Quakers got moving, starting the half with a 17-6 run of their own and getting within a point of the Big Green several times. Penn’s first lead of the night came with 5:10 remaining in the game.

With both teams knotted up at 48, Penn broke the game open with a 7-0 run and never looked back.

Freshman guard Jamal Lewis and sophomore forward Henry Brooks each led the Quakers with 14 points apiece, followed by junior guard Miles Cartwright’s 13.

Freshman center Darien Nelson-Henry also posted eight points and six rebounds in 17 minutes of play in his second game back from a low-grade MCL sprain of his left knee suffered at Yale last Friday.

Leading the way for the Big Green was sophomore forward Gabas Maldunas, who notched 19 points, 10 boards and three blocks in a losing effort.

The Quakers were as impressive from the free throw line as they were from the field, shooting 19-for-23 (82.6 percent) on the night.

Penn has now won seven in a row in the series and 30 of the last 32 meetings overall.

The Quakers will return to game action at Cornell on Friday at 7 p.m.

Harvard stymies Penn basketball, 73-54

Tony | Penn basketball can beat Harvard’s small ball with smart ball

Penn more than just hoops for Patrick Lucas-Perry

White killed in sleep, wife is charged