01192012_menssquash_vsfranklin004
01192012_MensSquash_vsFranklin Credit: Laura Francis , Laura Francis

Winter break may have just ended, but January has not been kind to the Penn men’s squash team.

Having faced three top-10 schools within the span of a week, the Quakers take to the courts Saturday against No. 2 Trinity, a team that has swept them in eight out of their last nine meetings.

After decisive defeats to Harvard, 9-0; Dartmouth, 8-1; and Franklin & Marshall, 8-1; the Red and Blue (3-5) will be looking to restore some pride when the Bantams (7-0) come to Philadelphia this weekend.

History is against the Quakers, and coach Jack Wyant is realistic about their chances on Saturday.

“The match against Trinity is going to be very difficult,” Wyant said. “Trinity is ranked at least 10 places ahead of us, so obviously they are going to be favorites. But the kids have been working hard and are looking forward to the match.”

It will be a real test for the Red and Blue. With the team potentially disheartened by the start of the season, it would be easy for the squad to develop a losing mentality. But Wyant is confident his side is ready for the matchup.

“I think they look at it as a great opportunity to play against one of the best teams in the country,” he said. “We play every team in the top 10, so we get plenty of exposure against top teams. And it is something they look forward to more than anything else.”

Last year, Danny Greenberg, playing at No. 2, won Penn’s first individual match against the Bantams since 2004.

Now a senior captain and in the No. 1 slot, Greenberg is one of the players who has to step up if Penn is to have any chance of pulling off a surprise victory.

Wyant is sure that if Penn focuses on what it has been working on in practice rather than the opposing team, then an upset may well be in the cards.

“We need to just concentrate on executing our game plan and focus on what we’re doing rather than what’s going on around us,” Wyant said. “We will just try to keep our focus internal rather than external.”

When facing a team the quality of the Bantams, Wyant knows it is all about mindset. The opponent’s ranking should not be a factor in how the Quakers prepare or play.

“It is the same with any match,” Wyant said. “It doesn’t matter if we’re playing a top-30 team or a top-five team.”

With this in mind, and in spite of the bruising opening to the year, Wyant is confident the Quakers will “fight for every point.”

“And if we can string some games together, we might win a match,” he said. “And if we win one, then we will go from there.”

Penn men’s squash’s international gap

Penn men’s squash falls twice to Ivy foes

Penn men’s squash ready for first Ivy doubleheader of the year

Quakers bounce back with blowout