Two years ago, freshmen and sophomores stood in high school watching the nation decide the fate of U.S. politics. This year, they get to be a part of it.

Many first time voters are excited to vote either in their home states or here in Pennsylvania.

Nursing freshman Chantal Low is originally from New York but registered to vote in Pennsylvania. “Growing up in New York,” she said, “we were always told that our votes didn’t really matter regardless of whether we were Democrats or Republicans. As a first time voter, I really want to get my vote to count and feel like my voice matters.”

Although she has a full day of classes, Low is waking up early to make sure she gets to the polls. “I’m really excited to vote,” she said. “I remember growing up and going to vote with my mom and it’s exciting that it is my turn.”

Wharton sophomore Joshua Feder is also registered to vote in Pennsylvania, even though he is from California. He feels that Pennsylvania is a more contested state than California, and his voice counts more.

“I’m excited for the country to move on to a new and more productive story, but I am nervous for the outcome,” said.

College sophomore Katherine Liang and her roommate, Nursing sophomore Laura Park, are waking up early to vote the moment the polls open at 7 a.m. “We didn’t want to wait in line,” she said. The two, who live in Rodin, will vote at Vance Hall on the corner of 38th and Spruce streets. “It’s our first time voting and we wanted to do it together,” Liang said.

Engineering freshman Shashank Sirivolu already voted in his home state of Ohio over fall break. “I chose to vote at home because Ohio is a big swing state that has a heavy impact on deciding the outcome of the election,” Sirivolu said.

He felt that voting at home brought the community together because everyone knows all the people running the voting booths and polls.

“As Americans, we have a moral obligation to vote in such a democracy and be proper citizens,” he said.

Diego Sanz , a College freshman, is going home to vote in his district in Philadelphia today.

Although he is excited to vote for the first time, Sanz is not too excited about either candidate. “I don’t feel too passionate about voting considering the candidates,” he said. “None of [them] inspire me to vote … [but] I’m still going to vote, nevertheless.”

Wharton freshman Lauren Rosenstock just sent in her absentee ballot yesterday for her home state of Wisconsin.

She was nervous about Hurricane Sandy affecting her receiving and sending in the absentee ballot, but was still able to just make the deadline. “I am confident in who I want to win, but I’m not so sure what the outcome will be,” Rosenstock said. “But at least I do feel like my vote counts, especially in Wisconsin.”

Polls are open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. tomorrow.