The Penn men’s and women’s tennis teams will compete at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s (ITA) Regional Championship this weekend.

Thursday, six members of the men’s team head to Yale, while seven from the ladies side journey to West Point, N.Y., to participate in this distinguished competition sponsored by the U.S. Tennis Association.

The ITA is the major governing body of college tennis and is composed of over 1,700 coaches from colleges all over the country. More than 600 schools from 12 different regions participate in these events. Penn’s teams will both play in the Northeastern Regional tournament.

Last year, sophomores Alex Ion and Sol Eskenazi, along with junior teammate Stephanie Do, had noteworthy finishes in the early rounds. The girls each won their individual matches in the round of 64, making Penn a perfect 3-0.

In the round of 32, Ion, Eskenazi and Do all fell to players from Stony Brook, Harvard and Yale, respectively.

The men did not see the same success as their female counterparts in the early rounds last year. Struggling to even make it past the round of 64, the men sent only one player to the round of 32.
The event begins Thursday and, depending on Penn’s performance, could continue until Tuesday. This championship marks the last competition of the fall for the men’s team, while the women’s team could send players to the USTA/ITA National Collegiate Indoor Championships from Nov. 8-11.

BRIEF | Penn women’s tennis duo plays on national stage

Penn sends two to All-American tennis tournament