03272012_educationcommons0131
The opening of a new study space on the second floor of Weiss Pavilion, next to Franklin Field. Vice provost and director of the Penn libraries, Carton Rogers, was available to speak with visitors about the space. The open house event featured free food and an iPad raffle. Credit: Zoe Gan , Zoe Gan

Students looking to study on the far east side of Penn’s campus have found a home in what used to be 6,400 square feet of unused space.

The Education Commons, located inside the George A. Weiss Pavilion at Franklin Field, formally opened to the Penn community Wednesday afternoon. With its design modeled off that of the Weigle Information Commons in Van Pelt Library, the Education Commons aims to provide a large academic study space where there had previously been none.

About 50 people — including administrators, faculty and students — attended the opening, which marked a “great opportunity to put an academic flag” in Weiss Pavilion, Vice Provost and Director of Penn Libraries Carton Rogers said.

Construction on the Education Commons began in fall 2011. According to Director of Design and Construction for Facilities and Real Estate Services Edward Sidor, crews were putting the final touches on the building until the day before the opening.

Overall, the project cost $2.25 million to complete.

The Education Commons offers students a total of eight group study rooms of varying size, an open seating area with regular chairs, tables and beanbags and a seminar room in which classes may one day be held.

24525_0329infocommonsinfoboxf.png

Director of Public Services for Penn Libraries Marjorie Hassen said Penn President Amy Gutmann initially had the idea for the new study space after the opening of Fox Fitness Center in 2010.

Hassen explained that the Education Commons used the overall “metaphor” of Weigle — such as an open seating area — in its construction and design.

“Weigle is a space that was really designed with undergraduates in mind,” Hassen said. “It’s really a hub for undergraduates.”

The Education Commons will also provide a full range of services, with a full-time staff working from 9 a.m. through 11 p.m. Monday through Thursday. The building will be open every day of the week, and plans are currently underway to bring workshops and tutoring sessions there in the near future.

While the study space opened yesterday, its original target date for completion was last month, Sidor said. He explained that the delay was due to difficulties in constructing the ceiling, which resembles a large white cloud.

“I think the ceiling was a little more complicated than we anticipated. I think the contractor underestimated the amount of time it would take to do that,” Sidor said. “We’re a couple weeks late, but I think it was worth the wait. It’s a good quality job.”

Student athletes appreciated the addition of the study space.

“It’s awesome,” said College junior Caroline Bunting, who plays on the women’s lacrosse team. “It’s so convenient. It’s right above our locker rooms.”

While the study space is not only intended for student athletes, some non-athletes said they may not be inclined to make the trip across campus to utilize it.

“I wouldn’t go because it’s too far, but it looks really cool,” said College and Wharton sophomore Chris Chan, who lives in Harrison College House. “Personally, I just study in my room.”

However, Wharton sophomore Nicole Webster, who also does not play any sports at Penn, said she would give the study space a try, since “Van Pelt gets very crammed during finals.”

“I just like the bean bags and how modern everything is,” added College junior Rachel Goh, a member of the women’s squash team. “This is probably going to be a second home for many student athletes.”

Multimedia

GALLERY: Education Commons
VIDEO: Tour of the Education Commons
VIDEO: Word on the Walk

Related

Hutchinson Gymnasium to undergo renovations
Steinberg-Dietrich to undergo $18.5-million makeover
Board of Trustees convenes to discuss University finances, academic policies
Weiss Pavilion receives LEED gold certification