On Dec. 1, the Social Planning and Events Committee will host the first annual concert of the Penn Music Collective, a group of local independent student musicians.

“The overall goal is to promote local Penn musicians and at the same time, foster other musicians and new bands on campus,” SPEC Concerts Co-Director and College junior Sam Gorski said. While past SPEC concerts usually feature artists from beyond campus, this year’s initiative emphasizes a focus on fostering a Penn community.

“This is new territory for us,” he added. “It’s the first time we’ve done this. We had a meeting with two artists who said they have bands who would be willing to perform and do this concert, and it went from there.” The concert will feature four Penn student bands: Silk City, Fat Panther, Red Giants and Slow Dance Chubby.

Reactions from the student body have been mixed, with many not knowing who the performing artists are.

“I haven’t heard of the concert and local bands even with the daily mails from SPEC. But I’d be interested in going,” College freshman Umberto Tosi said.

“Slow Dance Chubby?” College junior Taeyoung Kim said with a laugh. “No, I don’t know any of the bands or artists, but I think the concert’s a good idea.”

Engineering sophomore Yash Malci agreed. “Well, I’ve heard of all of them, and I’d definitely consider checking it out especially since I like to explore music.”

However, other students did not seem to appear as enthusiastic. Engineering freshman Alexa Gallegos offered, “I’m not interested at all. I’d rather see dancing groups or more famous artists instead.”

The concert will take place in St. Mary’s Church at 8 p.m., and while admissions is free, donations will be encouraged to help support Penn’s Vagina Monologues — an ongoing campaign to raise awareness to stop violence against women around the world.