housingguidekingscourt014
A Panel talking about the economic diversity of Penn students Credit: Jing Ran , Jing Ran, Jing Ran

The decision of where to live next year is a difficult one to make. Whether you want to stay in one of Penn’s 12 College Houses or move into an apartment or house of your own, you must carefully weigh the pros and cons of each. Below, The Daily Pennsylvanian takes a look at some of these considerations.

On campus

Community: We refer to on-campus housing as “college houses” rather than “dorms” for a reason. Staying on campus after freshman year is a great way to ensure you’ll be able to fully immerse yourself in life at Penn.

Certainty: One of the greatest things about living on campus is this: once you’re in, you’re in. If you’re one of the lucky ones to get into a high rise on your first try, then you’re set with housing for the rest of your Penn career.

Convenience: Have an issue with mice in your room? Faucet not working properly? Submit a work request to Facilities and Real Estate Services and have your problem taken care of within a few hours. Not having to deal with a landlord is a big plus.

Proximity: There’s no better feeling than being able to wake up at 8:50 a.m. for a 9 a.m. class and still make it on time. The close proximity of most on-campus houses to classrooms makes for a much shorter walk on a daily basis.

Off campus

Independence: Some of us came to college to escape our parents’ control. Living in an apartment or house means there are fewer rules to follow. There are no enforced quiet study hours, and you don’t have to sign guests in after 2 a.m.

Flexibility: As the owner of your lease, you are free to sublet your room to someone if you are going abroad. In addition, you have a greater selection of room type — singles, doubles, suites, houses or apartments.

Space: Closets, counter space and big rooms are a definite perk of living off campus. Houses and apartments usually come with big kitchens and living rooms. Because of this, you are not forced to share too much space with roommates, who may not always be the cleanest people.

Cost: While on-campus living costs are included in your tuition, off-campus housing contracts are handled directly with the leasing company. Generally, off-campus housing is the cheaper option, giving you more bang for your buck.