imag0691

The Penn Dental School was under lockdown after the robbery of a woman in the building. Students were not allowed to enter or leave as police investigated.

Credit: Pete Lodato

A female unaffiliated with the University was robbed at approximately 8:50 a.m. in the second-story bathroom of the Evans Building, part of the Penn Dental School, according to the Division of Public Safety.

The victim, a client of the Dental School, was asked to assist another unaffiliated female in the bathroom. When the victim entered the ladies’ room, the female “punched her and demanded her money,” Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush said.

“The perpetrator simulated that she had a firearm,” Rush said, noting that while the victim “did not see a gun,” the perpetrator ensured the victim could not see by placing something on her neck. The victim did not attempt to fight the perpetrator.

A woman from housekeeping reported the incident to Penn Police and AlliedBarton security officers, who immediately arrived on the scene. They preformed a “total sweep” of the building, but the suspect was no longer at the scene, according to Rush.

The suspect was described as a black female wearing dark clothing, about 5-foot-10-inches tall with a thin build, in her 30s and wearing dark pants and a dark jacket.

A UPennAlert was sent out to dental faculty and students, informing them of the incident and advising them to stay inside offices.

DPS and Penn Police are currently interviewing suspects and reviewing CCTV cameras in the building and on the streets. The female victim is not seriously injured at this time, but did give up some money.