03222011_miafarrow082
Mia Farrow speaks for Moral Voices about global hunger Credit: Maanvi Singh

Students buzzed in Irvine Auditorium waiting to hear from actress Mia Farrow Tuesday — but not about her career in film.

Farrow, who doubles as a a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, was on campus to address poverty and hunger. She was hosted by Moral Voices, a Hillel group that focuses on social justice issues.

After a trip to Sudan, Farrow chose to place her successful acting career second to advocating for social justice in the international community.

“Within two years the reign of my life had changed,” Farrow said. “With knowledge comes responsibility … people suffer. We watch. That doesn’t seem right to me.”

Farrow, who has starred in films such as Rosemary’s Baby and The Great Gatsby, explained how food injustice is relevant to the international community.

“When governments cannot and will not support their people, it gives way to instability and terrorism,” Farrow said. “We are all linked as it becomes a threat to our security.”

Farrow used Africa as a primary example, stating that “Africa is at the core of the poverty problem. One in every three Africans is malnourished.”

Along with providing background for the genocide in Darfur, Farrow also praised specific government projects such as Obama’s “Feed the Future” campaign, deeming it “smart aid and investment.”

Farrow also spoke against certain international diplomatic decisions. “No no-fly zone is being proposed and bombs are falling upon Darfur this week,” she said, calling the international community “indifferent.”

She confirmed her stance against the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing. “Chinese revenues are financing the slaughter in Darfur,” she said.

She also criticized the structure of the United Nations, calling the configuration of the Security Council “not conducive to what we need.”

Farrow’s speech turned a positive reaction.

Moral Voices Co-Chairwoman and College junior Jordan Sale said, “I thought the event was a success and inspiring to hear, but not the most easy thing to digest.” College junior Julia Silva called the presentation “eye-opening.”

“[Farrow] attracted us as a speaker because she uses her position as a celebrity in a meaningful and impacting way,” Moral Voices Co-Chairwoman and College junior Caroline Kassie said.

Some students, though, expected more concrete advice. Nursing junior Liz Grun found the talk “inspirational” but was unsatisfied with Farrow’s conclusion.

“World hunger. Yes, I’m on board,” Grun said. “But now what? Despite the good explanation, it’s still hard to know what one can do.”