In response to a recent editorial (“Foster acceptance,” 1/26/2011), I hope to clarify a few points for readers of The Daily Pennsylvanian. The lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender workshops referenced are just a few of several workshops included in the new member education program. While participation in at least one workshop is mandatory, nobody is required to attend Lambda Alliance events. We offer many other options for participants that range in focus from drug abuse prevention discussions to domestic violence awareness workshops.

Since the LGBT session is not mandatory, those who attend the workshop — LGBT or otherwise — are more likely to have interest in the topic at hand. Ultimately, they choose to be there, yet the editorial implies forced participation by the Lambda Alliance — which is simply incorrect. Wharton senior Adam Thompson was recently quoted saying that the program is unnecessary because new member education itself is sufficient to build brotherhood within fraternities and promote acceptance. I agree with this sentiment, but there are never too many opportunities for discussion.

-- Harris Heyer The author is a Wharton junior and the president of the Interfraternity Council.