09092010_tashlihk051
Professor Marybeth Gasman in her office

In 1983, Madonna’s first hit single, “Holiday,” reminded her fans they “can turn this world around.” Three decades of international fame and nine Grammys later, however, her recent appointment as chairwoman of the Board of Directors of Success For Kids continues to show her dedication to turning this world around.

“I grew up in an era where she was really popular,” Graduate School of Education professor Marybeth Gasman said. Gasman, who shares Madonna’s interest in global education, looks forward to the opportunities afforded by her recent appointment as chairwoman of the SFK’s Education Advisory Board.

According to Dwayne Ashley, SFK’s co-chief executive officer in charge of global operations, the international nonprofit organization is focused on teaching young, at-risk children the values of self-esteem and resilience. Through early-intervention programs and other efforts, SFK seeks to “create great citizens of the world,” Ashley said.

Much of Gasman’s work has focused on the education of racial and ethnic minorities in the United States, she said. She believes that the educational realities of the United States are such that not every student has access to the same opportunities.

Gasman acknowledged the significance of dedicated educators in her personal development. “I grew up very poor, so if it weren’t for mentors and teachers … I probably wouldn’t be a professor here,” she said.

When Co-CEO Heath Grant approached Gasman about the position, she accepted because “if you can find ways of bringing opportunity to young people, that’s probably the best thing that you can do,” Gasman said.

Prior to her appointment, Gasman said her research focused primarily on the United States, with some studies on South Africa. However, she is excited by the chance to influence educational policies on a global scale. In addition to the four locations in the United States, SFK has programs in six countries, as far-reaching as Malawi and Russia.

Despite the geographic variety of SFK’s programs, Gasman and Ashley believe that, globally, children face similar issues relating to their self-esteem and sense of purpose. As a result, SFK’s programs “focus on helping kids to really understand what their place is,” Gasman said.

Ashley reiterated these claims, stating, “SFK is all about recognizing your true talents. Our emphasis is on resiliency.”

Gasman will serve for three years as chairwoman of the Education Advisory Board.