11212010_shooting_locust0003___article
An armed carjacking near 50th and Race Street ended early Sunday morning when two suspects, pursued by police, crashed a stolen car at 40th and Locust, where they then fled. While one suspect was aprehended near 39th and Walnut, the other suspect was injured in a shoot out with police. No Penn students or police officers were injured. Credit: Pete Lodato

Multiple students reported hearing shots fired near the high rises around 3 a.m. Sunday morning.

College sophomore Ali Castleman said she heard five or six shots as she was leaving the Zeta Beta Tau fraternity house at 39th and Spruce streets. She ran into Harrison College House where a security guard called Penn Police and confirmed there was a shooting.

Police are blocking off 40th street between Sansom and Spruce streets and students are not being permitted to leave any of the high rise apartment buildings. Any student who needs to enter a high rise must be escorted by the police.

[Update 3:45 a.m.] The Division of Public Safety confirmed that shots were fired at 40th and Locust streets. According to an e-mail from Jared Hupp, of the office of the Vice President for Public Safety, “Penn Police apprehended a gunman and a second male. Gunfire was exchanged. Both suspects are in custody. There are no injuries to civilians (Penn Community members) or police.”

[Update 4 a.m.] A car jacking occurred near 50th Street just before 3 a.m., according to an e-mail from Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush. The Philadelphia Police attempted to stop the vehicle near campus, two males jumped out of the car near 40th and Locust streets. One of the men was apprehended by police on the 3900 block of Walnut Street and the other ran behind the Free Library of Philadelphia. Gunshots were exchanged and the suspect was shot.

[Update 4:25 a.m.] College senior Andrew Goldman was walking on 40th Street at the time of the incident. He wrote in an e-mail that a cop car stopped behind the stolen vehicle, which had crashed. He wrote, “Cops jumped out, pulled guns and chased the men, jumping over the benches. Once they got onto the field, shots started, and it became obvious that the men had guns. I saw one try to run across Locust, and while under the spotlight, he turned and fired at one of the cops. The cop fired back, hitting him what seemed to be multiple times.” According to Goldman, cops confirmed the suspect had died.

[Update 6:10 a.m.] In a phone conversation, Rush explained that a supervisor in the Penn Communication Center picked up reports from the Philadelphia Police around 3 a.m. that a gray Cadillac had been hijacked at 50th and Arch streets. At 3:01 a.m. a city officer called in for a description because he was following a vehicle going eastbound on Locust Street at a high speed. The supervisor saw the car crash into posts that block vehicles from entering Locust Walk at 40th and Locust streets.

Two males exited the car with guns and began fleeing across high rise field toward Walnut Street. One suspect dropped his gun and proceeded to the 3900 block of Walnut where he was apprehended by police. The other suspect began firing at police officers. The officers returned fire. The suspect was shot and taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. He was pronounced dead at 3:09 a.m.

At 4 a.m. DPS issued a UPennAlert. Rush said the alert was “more informational than to safeguard anyone from future harm” because there was no further danger to the community. Allied Barton security guards were held over time and day officers will arrive early for Sunday shifts.

E-mail newstip@theDP.com if you have any more information. Check back for more.