1011_han2
100504 University of Pennsylvania - Women's Golf Credit: Hunter Martin

The Penn women’s golf team added some new hardware last season — two pieces to be exact — but it doesn’t seem to be enough.

“We won two tournaments last year and I think we’re capable of winning more than that this year,” said Penn coach Mark Anderson.

The Quakers — the reigning Ivy League and Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) champions — had their best season ever in 2009-2010 (314-308-307 — 929, +65) and are looking to build on this success going into the 2010 fall season.

“I’d love to leave the team with a good practice regimen and instill hard work as a good foundation,” said sophomore Isabel Han. “Our overall goal is to practice hard, work hard and win the Ivy League Championship again.”

It seems as though high achievement has become synonymous with women’s golf at Penn. In early August, Han, freshman Michelle Lee and recent graduate Meredith Kotowski participated in the U.S. Women’s Amateur, the United States Golf Association’s (USGA) most prestigious event for women amateurs — quite an accomplishment for a small but expanding golf program.

“That was amazing,” said Anderson. “It was so exciting to watch that tournament and to have three of our players in the field.”

Particularly of note was first team All-Ivy selection Han, who was the only Quaker to advance to match play, making her the first in Penn history to do so. In match play, Han was partnered with the top seed, Ohio State sophomore Rachel Rohanna, and nearly caused an upset, although she ultimately dropped the match, 1-up, in a hard-fought round.

“I had so much fun, it was a huge confidence booster and definitely one of the greatest experiences I’ve ever had,” said Han. “I can’t wait to go again next year and actually win it.”

The team also has much to be excited about with its other players, particularly the three freshmen recruits — ­Olivia Chang, Michelle Lee and Rui Li — who all have had significant Junior Golf experience and may have the chance to “start right away.”

“I think they can make a huge impact,” said Anderson. “I think we’re going to pick up right where we left off.”

Thus, with continued high level of play, the young Quakers squad — half of the team consists of sophomores and there are no seniors currently on the roster — hopes to continue its recent string of success.

“We’re a young team, but that doesn’t mean we’re at a disadvantage,” said Han. “I think that will be an advantage for us being such a young team and so good. We can only get better.”

If Han is correct, it looks like there the grass will soon be much greener.