06016010_beer_week_monks_cafe027
Philadelphia Beer Week @ Monk's Cafe

Whether you’re a beer lover or simply beer-curious, Philly Beer Week has something for you — as long as you’re 21.

The annual tradition is organized by Philly Beer Week, Inc and involves over 500 events at more than 100 participating bars and restaurants across the city and surrounding suburbs.

Although this year’s festivities technically lasted from June 3 to 14, some spots plan to continue celebrating through June 26.

Events are held at breweries, museums, high-end restaurants and local taverns in order to promote the regional brewing scene.

“Beer week is meant to promote local microbreweries,” as opposed to the big homogeneous “macros” like Coors Light or Budweiser, said Devitt McShain, a bartender at Bridgewater’s Pub.

Affectionately known as the pub in 30th Street Station, Bridgewater’s held several Beer Week events.

“Beer week gives me a little appreciation for what I drink and what [brewers] do,” McShain said, adding that brewers really love what they do.

Raymond Lee, a physician at Hahnemann University Hospital and a self proclaimed beer aficionado, attended Philly Beer Week events with a friend.

For beer enthusiasts like Lee, it’s frustrating to find bartenders who are not knowledgeable about the beers they serve. “I love to go to places, look at the lists and ask the bartender [about the drinks],” he said. Lee added that he can usually tell if bartenders don’t know what they’re talking about.

John Ceccatti offered a different take on beer with a talk titled ‘Vital Ingredients: The Art and Science of Brewing’ at the Chemical Heritage Foundation. A CHF fellow, Ceccatti spoke about the history of brewing in the 19th century —”how yeast was identified as a living organism responsible for fermentation and that other micro-organisms can cause beer diseases that turn beer sour,” he explained.

According to some, those who missed Beer Week need not worry, as Philadelphia has a vibrant beer scene year round.

“Beer week? It’s always beer week here,” said Erik Richardson, of Khyber on 2nd Street, which is known for its large selection of brews.

“Philadelphia needs to be a restaurant-bar oriented city in order to attract tourists” he added. “I want Beer Week to do well.”