penn_shield_final_copy
College sophomore Hasbrouck Miller’s winning T-shirt design will be available in the Penn Bookstore beginning this April.

Starting this April, students in the College of Arts and Sciences will finally have their own T-shirt.

Members of the Dean’s Advisory Board collaborated with Business Services to create a student competition for the College shirt design, which will be sold at the Penn Bookstore. College sophomore Hasbrouck Miller was announced as the winner Tuesday.

The winning design was inspired by the need for it to be “immediately recognizable for the liberal arts at Penn,” so Miller’s design utilized the College emblem and brush strokes, according to Miller, a former Daily Pennsylvanian business staff member.

The fundamental goal of this contest was to “give students a sense of institutional identity with the College,” said Student Coordinator for the T-shirt competition and College senior Fan Zhou.

“We wanted to develop College-specific items to show our pride for the College,” he added.

This contest was a way to expand and develop the brand of the College, according to College junior and T-shirt design committee member David Frankenfield. “College students always wear Penn apparel and identify more with Penn than other Penn students in specific schools,” Frankenfield said.

This contest was open to current College undergraduates with the restrictions that the designs had to capture some aspect of the College and use Penn’s colors of red and blue.

There were 16 submissions that were then narrowed down to seven by DAB members and administrators from the bookstore based on aesthetics and production feasibility, Zhou said.

These seven finalist designs were put online, and more than 600 students voted on the winning design.

“The bookstore was happy to work on this project, which was a pilot program in that it had never been done before,” Business Services spokeswoman Barbara Lea-Kruger said.

At this point, the goal is to have the T-shirts in the Penn Bookstore during Penn Previews, Zhou said.