12042008_mens_squash_navy024
Men's squash faces off against Navy at Ringer Courts Thursday. Penn: Mark Froot Navy: Nils Mattsson Credit: Alex Ball

It wasn’t as convincing as last year’s 9-0 sweep, but the Penn men’s squash team extended its win streak over Navy to nine games with a 6-3 victory in Annapolis last night.

The Quakers (3-3) were particularly strong in the middle of the ladder, with freshman Dan Greenberg, sophomore Trevor McGuinness and juniors James Clark and Porter Drake all recording sweeps over their Midshipmen opponents (14-5) at the No. 2, 3, 4 and 5 spots, respectively.

Penn added insurance with freshman Zuhaib Mogiuddin’s 3-1 win at No. 7 and sophomore Brooks Russell’s 3-1 victory at No. 8.

Despite starting off the New Year with a win for the tenth straight season and improving their record back to .500, the Quakers had several weaknesses exposed during the match that might cost them when they embark on the toughest stretch of their schedule this weekend.

Penn allowed the Midshipmen three victories ­— their most ever over the course of their nine game skid against Penn — and No. 1 Mark Froot was defeated 3-1 by Navy’s Nils Mattson.

The loss was especially disappointing as Froot got the best of Mattson last year.

With the Quakers facing off against perennial powerhouses Trinity and Princeton before the end of the month, the senior will have his hands full at the top of the ladder.

The Quakers will return to action Saturday when they travel to Massachusetts to take on Williams and Amherst.